Practical Problems with distribution D projects

Assaf Gordon agordon at wi.mit.edu
Tue Feb 25 08:33:14 PST 2014

On 02/25/2014 11:17 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 at 16:04:56 UTC, Assaf Gordon wrote:
>> Not sure what the "windows attitude" is, since I haven't developed software for windows in 12 years...
>
> The Windows attitude is expecting things to actually work for the end user. It rarely actually works that way on linux.

Side-stepping the flame-war potential of this statement :) ,

I agree that Windows is homogenous enough, and have so many "built-in" runtime DLLs that you can expect all systems to be almost identical in terms of what's available. It makes distribution very easy for users (and developers).

It takes more effort to build portable software, and in windows you rarely have to worry about it.

Once you do build a portable software properly, it "works" for the end user as well.