Minor std.stdio.File.ByLine rant

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Feb 26 16:06:11 PST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:59:07PM +0000, bearophile wrote:
> H. S. Teoh:
>
> >I'm writing a CLI program that uses File.ByLine to read input
> >commands,
>
> Isn't using readln() better for that? File.byLine is to read lines
> of files on disk.
[...]

Perhaps, but readln() isn't a range. The whole point was to use a
range-based API for the interpreter so that there's no need to write two
separate interfaces for the interpreter, one for stdin, one for a script
file stored on disk.

Today's society is one of specialization: as you grow, you learn more
and more about less and less. Eventually, you know everything about
nothing.