Dart and D: features that could be used in D, D->dart for web programming

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Feb 27 12:39:53 PST 2014

Am 27.02.2014 19:37, schrieb Craig Dillabaugh:
> On Thursday, 27 February 2014 at 18:20:20 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> clip
>>
>> Like it or not, JavaScript is good enough.
>>

> Really? I've been stuck for the past week or so trying to put together a
> browser based UI using JavaScript + HTML for a work related project.  It
> has been a painful experience. In fairness to JavaScript, I didn't know
> the language very well coming in, but still I've found working in this
> setting rather frustrating.
>
> If the future of applications is really client-server based
> applications, where the client is basically a VM (if we consider the
> browser a VM of sorts) surely there is room for a better development
> model than this HTML + Javascript mongrel.

I didn't say I like it that much, just that it is good enough for what
enterprise applications, my field of work, are about.

So unless the browser vendors start supporting other languages, our
customers will only ask for JavaScript, because it is easier to find
guys when doing maintenance support.

They don't care about Dart, TypeScript, CoffeScript, or whatever might
be the flavour of the month, because it increases their problems to
find people and their internal teams usually don't know those languages
anyway.

The same to any other language out there. Usually when I get to work on
a cool language at the enterprise level, it is no longer cool, or it was
brought in because some startup belonging to someone close to the CTO
managed to sneak it in.

The is of course my enterprise world, yours may vary.

--
Paulo