Dart and D: features that could be used in D, D->dart for web programming

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Feb 27 23:12:25 PST 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 19:20 +0100, Paulo Pinto wrote:
[…]
>  From what I understood on Dart talks last Google IO, work was planned
> to have V8 and Dart VM play together inside Chrome.

Dartium is a build of Chromium with both, so this is very much the
direction that is possible.

> Personally, I think unless Google pushes the language fro ChromeOS or
> Android, it will hardly get any real market size.
>
> Like it or not, JavaScript is good enough.
>
> On my field of work, it doesn't matter how many cool languages I know,
> we are usually bound by what the whole team is comfortable using, what
> the boss allows for and the technologies that are requested by the
> customers themselves.

Dart has a JavaScript translation back end, so could have a role very
much like CoffeeScript – which arguably hasn't been that successful
given jQuery, Backbone, Ember, Angular, etc.

Ceylon has both JVM and JavaScript back ends and is targetted at
end-to-end single language working: Ceylon in the browser, Ceylon on the
server. If some of the FUD and prejudice that is being put about by
innovation haters in the Javaverse can  be overcome, I think Ceylon
could be a big player in the game of Web applications and services.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk