Old Machines and XP for Linux(not really a D topic)

Stanislav Blinov stanislav.blinov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 13:04:59 PST 2014

On Friday, 28 February 2014 at 18:04:44 UTC, Steve Teale wrote:

> To people who can just about manage to use outdated software on
> XP, it's probably a big deal to switch to Linux.

That doesn't have anything to do with the OS. It's a mentality
problem.

> And is that outdated version of Quickbooks available to run
> under Linux?

There's GnuCash, but I wouldn't know all the details, I don't use
either. What I do know is there are alternatives except for very
specialized software. It comes down to willingness to explore
and/or switch.

> You are living in a different world,

You keep repeating this as if no one in this NG understands what
you're saying. Respectfully, I'll say that you are wrong. I know
all too well what it is to not have access to the latest greatest
hardware or money to buy that new slick hoptoshop or whatever.
Not to mention not having an affordable and stable Internet
connection. I hope I don't need to go down the chain to more
meaningful problems.

You're being dismissive just because people most of which you can
safely assume to be younger than you disagree with you.

I'll repeat myself just to clarify: even if it so happened that
XP continued its life, in the near future you won't be finding
any software that would run on it. At least not proprietary
software. Outdated hardware is not the only issue here.