F***ing captcha

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Jan 3 01:19:43 PST 2014

On Thursday, 2 January 2014 at 20:14:58 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha
> F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha
> F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha
> F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha
> F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha F***ing captcha

Hi,

The forum software used to have a bug where if you failed the
first CAPTCHA, it would fail all successive CAPTCHA attempts for
that post submission. It appears to still be fixed, though.

I've tested CAPTCHA functionality just now, and it seems to be
working properly. I've tried about 5 times and only once I got a
challenge with an unclear solution. If you get a challenge and
you're not confident in your solution, it's better to click the
arrow-circle button to get a different challenge.

I've checked the logs for the past month, and it seems that, with
all the other spam-preventive measures in place, Akismet is now
more effective at generating false positives than at actually
blocking spam. (It has something against Mono-D in particular, it
seems.) I'm going to try sending feedback of the false positives
so far, hopefully that will "teach" it that such posts are not
spam. If that doesn't work, I'll disable it entirely or look into
replacing it with something else.