D - Unsafe and doomed

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 18:39:03 PST 2014

On Saturday, 4 January 2014 at 02:09:51 UTC, NoUseForAName wrote:
> .. includes a pretty damning assessment of D as "unsafe"
> (compared to Rust) and generally doomed.

I'd say the author is simply wrong about the doomed thing, the
link he cites doesn't make a convincing case, and is many years
old anyway.

As for the safety thing, I partially agree. The concepts Rust has
are potentially very useful when working without the garbage
collector. If you can use the gc, it obviates much of it (the
owner of all items is the gc and they have an infinite lifetime,
so tracking those things is trivial), but writing a kernel is one
place where you probably don't want to use it, so that makes
sense.

It is possible to use the Rust concepts in D, but you don't get
as much help from the compiler. Still better than C, but the rust
system is nice in this respect.

but i hate the rust syntax lol