D - Unsafe and doomed

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 19:16:36 PST 2014

On Saturday, 4 January 2014 at 02:09:51 UTC, NoUseForAName wrote:
> This piece (recently seen on the Hacker News front page):
>
> http://rust-class.org/pages/using-rust-for-an-undergraduate-os-course.html
>
> .. includes a pretty damning assessment of D as "unsafe"
> (compared to Rust) and generally doomed. I remember hearing
> Walter Bright talking a lot about "safe code" during a D
> presentation. Was that about a different kind of safety? Is the
> author just wrong? Basically I want to hear the counterargument
> (if there is one).

I'd say Kelet has it right, and I don't think the author has it
wrong either. He goes into the specific issue he has in the
section about Rust:

"Go and D provide memory safety but with all objects being
automatically managed with a garbage collector (over which
languages users have little control). Rust provides a way for
programmers to declare objects that are automatically managed or
explicitly managed, and statically checks that explicitly managed
objects are used safely."

Basically D provides safety, but it also provides means to do
unsafe things. I'm not familiar with Rust, but I wouldn't be
surprised if unsafe actions could also be taken.