D - Unsafe and doomed

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 19:24:27 PST 2014

On Saturday, 4 January 2014 at 03:16:37 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Basically D provides safety, but it also provides means to do
> unsafe things. I'm not familiar with Rust, but I wouldn't be
> surprised if unsafe actions could also be taken.

Haha, he covers that in the next section, just before I stopped
reading to reply.

"Rust still provides an escape hatch to allow students to
experiment with unsafe code."

So realy Rust requires safety by default while D allows unsafe
code by default. This leads me to believe that the reason Rust is
safer is three fold, the SafeD system (@safe, @trusted, @system)
isn't fully implemented, not enough libraries are marking @safe,
and we don't have a good library to encapsulate the unsafe manual
memory management (a library could probably get pretty close to
what Rust's compiler does).