D - Unsafe and doomed

logicchains jonathan.t.barnard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 20:49:45 PST 2014

On Saturday, 4 January 2014 at 04:26:24 UTC, Kelet wrote:
> Ultimately, it sounds like Rust primarily takes the 'default
> on' approach for things like safety and immutability, whereas D
> takes the 'default off' approach.

Sometimes the Rust approach is simply different. For instance,
Rust disables global variables by default; (#[feature(globs)];)
is needed to enable them, and all accesses must be declared
unsafe. D on the other hand just makes them all thread-local,
requiring explicit 'shared' declarations. I think the default D
approach here may actually be safer, and is definitely more
convenient.