D - Unsafe and doomed

ilya-stromberg ilya-stromberg-2009 at yandex.ru
Sat Jan 4 04:37:32 PST 2014

On Saturday, 4 January 2014 at 08:10:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/3/2014 11:42 PM, ilya-stromberg wrote:
>> So, in a few cases null pointers are a safety issue.
>
> I believe this is a misunderstanding of what safety is. It
> means memory safety - i.e. no memory corruption. It does not
> mean "no bugs".

OK, but this feature can be also useful. For example:

class Foo
{
	int i;
}

void main(string[] args)
{
	Foo f;

	//Oops!
	writeln(f.i);
}

It's definetly bug, but compiler hasn't got any mistakes. I know
that I'll have seg fault at runtime, but see an error at compile
time will be much better. Have you got any plans to impove this
situation?