Review of std.signal

ilya-stromberg ilya-stromberg-2009 at yandex.ru
Sat Jan 4 11:16:26 PST 2014

On Saturday, 4 January 2014 at 18:01:17 UTC, Robert wrote:
> On Friday, 15 November 2013 at 11:25:30 UTC, ilya-stromberg
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 7 November 2013 at 13:45:57 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>> Our current victim is std.signal by Robert Klotzner which is
>>> supposed to deprecate and supersede existing (and broken)
>>> std.signals
>>
>> Robert, it will be great to see some more documentation for
>> `std.signal`.
>> For example, you can:
>> - add more usage examples for each public function
>
> I think this is overkill for this simple API. I would basically
> have to repeat the example given at the top for every single
> function, not really useful.

OK.

>> - add tread-safe example for multi-tread application
>
> std.signal is in no way special regarding multi threading, it
> is just the same as with every other module in phobos.

Not exactly. Almost all Phobos functions can be used for
thread-local variables. Theoretically, `std.signal` can be used
for multi-thread applications. So, it will be great to know what
should I do for it.
For example, must I use mutex to protect `Signal` method calls?
So, please add example or at least add documentation how to do it.

>> - add better signal description and add more external links
>> (for examle, to the wikipedia -
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signals_and_slots). Look at the
>> old std.signals - http://dlang.org/phobos/std_signals.html
>
> Done :-)