D - Unsafe and doomed

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Jan 4 12:46:43 PST 2014

On Sat, Jan 04, 2014 at 11:04:59AM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/4/2014 1:18 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
> <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> >I don't disagree, but isn't that just a special case of type
> >constraints? Why limit it arbitrarily to null-values, limiting the
> >range of values is useful for ints and floats too. If you move the
> >constraint check to the function caller you can avoid testing when it
> >isn't needed.
>
> Yes, the non-NULL thing is just one example of a useful constraint one
> can put on types.

I still like what Walter said in the past about this issue:

	Making non-nullable pointers is just plugging one hole in a
	cheese grater. -- Walter Bright

:-)

There are many other issues to be addressed in an ideal programming
language. Range constraints are but another hole in the cheese grater;
there are many others.

If creativity is stifled by rigid discipline, then it is not true creativity.