Windows DMD installer/VisualD still not detecting paths correctly

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 18:17:03 PST 2014

I think it might be VisualD specific, and it seems like a version mismatch.

In sc.ini I have: VCINSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio 11.0\VC\  (note: the vs2012 path)
And beneath that path exists mspdb110.dll, but apparently the version of
link.exe that VisualD invokes is looking for mspdb100.dll, which it doesn't
find.

We had some discussion where VisualD should try and override the sc.ini
paths with the paths that were actually appropriate for the version of
Visual Studio being used at the time. This is important to eliminate other
version conflicts when linking VC C/C++ and D projects together within one
solution. Visual Studio uses the toolset and libs related to the version of
the IDE currently in use, therefore VisualD should also tell DMD to use the
same toolset for compatibility.

I use vs2010, although I also have vs2005 and vs2013 installed. It seems
VisualD is invoking the correct linker since it's complaining about
mspdb100.dll, which is the proper version for vs2010, but perhaps DMD is
still getting another path for the supporting DLL's from sc.ini, which was
set to the vs2012 paths (as noted above)?

My suggestion from before was that under VisualD, DMD should _completely
ignore_ sc.ini, and VisualD should provide all paths and arguments. As long
as DMD gets any paths from sc.ini, I can only see it leading to problems
under VisualD.

Disclaimer: I'm not absolutely certain this is a correct analysis of the
situation, but it seems this is what's happening.