D - Unsafe and doomed

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Jan 5 04:58:51 PST 2014

On Sunday, 5 January 2014 at 00:49:43 UTC, Organic Farmer wrote:
> Are there any developers left who can afford to choose their
> programming language for its expressive power and not for the
> amount of safety nets it provides. That is why D became my #1
> language.

Well it depends. On my case, the technology stack is always
choosen from the customers.

Our freedom to choose is quite limited.

> But I guess that's just someone speaking who, in the ol' days,
> didn't have a problem even in large C++ projects with matching
> each *new* at the start of a block with its *delete* at the end.

I also don't have any problem, but my experience tells me that it
doesn't scale when you have mixed experienced developers on teams
scattered across multiple sites.

I had my share of tracking down pointer issues as senior
developer covering up the mess, while customers were keeping the
technical support ears warm. :(

I don't miss those days.

--
Paulo