D - Unsafe and doomed

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Jan 5 07:17:41 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 07:51:31AM +0000, digitalmars-d-bounces at puremagic.com wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 January 2014 at 00:05:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >On 1/4/2014 3:04 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> >>Because it is an instant crash,
> >
> >Would things going on and a random thing happening randomly later
> >be better?
>
> In a web-service server it is desirable to trap the SIGSEGV so that
> an appropriate http status can be returned before going down
> (telling the client to not do that again).

Isn't that usually handled by running the webserver itself as a separate
process, so that when the child segfaults the parent returns HTTP 501?
Trusting the faulty process to return a sane status sounds rather risky
to me (how do you know somebody didn't specially craft an attack to dump
the contents of /etc/passwd to stdout, which gets redirected over the
HTTP link? I rather the process segfault immediately rather than
continuing to run when it detected an obvious logic problem with its own
code).

Almost all proofs have bugs, but almost all theorems are true. -- Paul Pedersen