Databases & daemons

chuck none at none.com
Sun Jan 5 21:27:36 PST 2014

My first post. :)

I come from a perl background but currently I am looking into
transitioning into a compiled language. I am a fan of open
software and know of the affinity Gnu has towards the C language,
but would like to learn something that is a bit more like what I
am used to. I have been working my way through Ali Çehreli's
tutorial and like the language.

My question is: does Phobos or another standard library have
intentions to make it easier to connect to a database (either
Postgresql, etc. or a new D database that someone may be working
on) and create daemons through D bindings, or will I need to know
more C in order to use the proper code in extern segments? I am
aware of independent projects for databases, but several of these
have came and disappeared over time and I would like something
with a more stable history. As for daemons, I know that I can
call an extern C fork command, but is this as pure as D gets in
this regard?