Graphics Library for D

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 23:44:22 PST 2014

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 23:30:24 -0800, Joakim <joakim at airpost.net> wrote:

> On Monday, 6 January 2014 at 04:17:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 1/5/2014 8:10 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
>>> Recently, I've been working to evaluate the feasibility and
>>> reasonability of
>>> building out a binding to Cinder in D.
>>
>> For reference, here's what Cinder is:
>>
>> http://libcinder.org/
>>
>> It's been well received by the C++ community.
>
> I took a look at the website.  Other than being popular what is it about
> Cinder that triggered this graphics push: do they make any good
> technical decisions?  I can't tell just from looking at their website.

It's something that Walter and I have been discussing since the last
GoingNative. A non-programmer (a sculptor by training in fact) used
Cinder/C++ to create a music player app called Planetary
(http://planetary.bloom.io/) for the iPad using Cinder. Walter, Andrei,
and I feel that D would be a more appealing language to such creatives but
D lacks the required seamlessly integrated graphics library they need to
create their art. There has also been interest from a number of people for
using such a library as a base for a GUI toolkit, and I am sure that their
are game developers of the mobile/casual bent who would love something
like this. We could probably even build in support for GPGPU work as that
is closely related to graphics rendering.

Building a graphics rendering toolkit would provide the base library
support for D to do quite literally anything with graphics, which is a
major and growing part of computing today. It is quite essential that D
have this capability.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender