Databases & daemons

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 01:39:14 PST 2014

On Monday, 6 January 2014 at 05:27:38 UTC, chuck wrote:
> My first post. :)
>
> I come from a perl background but currently I am looking into
> transitioning into a compiled language. I am a fan of open
> software and know of the affinity Gnu has towards the C
> language, but would like to learn something that is a bit more
> like what I am used to. I have been working my way through Ali
> Çehreli's tutorial and like the language.
>
> My question is: does Phobos or another standard library have
> intentions to make it easier to connect to a database (either
> Postgresql, etc. or a new D database that someone may be
> working on) and create daemons through D bindings, or will I
> need to know more C in order to use the proper code in extern
> segments? I am aware of independent projects for databases, but
> several of these have came and disappeared over time and I
> would like something with a more stable history. As for
> daemons, I know that I can call an extern C fork command, but
> is this as pure as D gets in this regard?

My projects are relatively quite new but they do meet everything
else.
I have Dvorm[0] which maps classes to database's. Supports
currently in memory and Mongo (via Vibe).
I do plan to add e.g. Mysql support via OpenDBX which is a c
library as a provider to it.

I have bindings for OpenDBX[1] which utilises Derelict's shared
library loader.

At current point in time I don't believe we will be adding
anything to standard library for this or create another (past
issues).

There is also others available on code.dlang.org if you haven't
seen already.

[0] https://github.com/rikkimax/Dvorm
[1] https://github.com/rikkimax/Derelict_Extras---OpenDBX