Graphics Library for D

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Jan 6 02:38:21 PST 2014

On 2014-01-06 05:10, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Hello Fellow D Heads,
>
> Recently, I've been working to evaluate the feasibility and
> reasonability of building out a binding to Cinder in D. And while it is
> certainly feasible to wrap Cinder, that a binding would be necessarily
> complex and feel very unnatural in D.
>
> So after talking it over with Walter and Andrei, we feel that, while we
> like how Cinder is designed and would very much like to have something
> like it available in D, wrapping Cinder is not the best approach in the
> long-term.
>
> With that in mind, we would like to start a discussion with interested
> parties about building a graphics library in the same concept as Cinder,
> but using an idiomatic D implementation from the ground up. Walter has
> suggested that we call it Aurora, and given the visual connotations
> associated with that name, I think it is most appropriate for this project.
>
>[SNIP]
> So with the above framework in mind, let's talk!

I like it :).

Every time I read a proposal that has anything to do with graphics I
always start to think there will be problems on Mac OS X. Depending on
how much interaction with the platform is needed, it always comes back
to the same problem: interfacing with Objective-C. It's verbose,
cumbersome and annoying to interface with Objective-C without language
support. We badly need D/Objective-C [1].

[1] http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP43

--
/Jacob Carlborg