Graphics Library for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Mon Jan 6 07:49:27 PST 2014

On Monday, 6 January 2014 at 04:11:07 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> The logical phases as I can see them are as follows, but please
> suggest changes:
>
> - Windowing and System Interaction (Including
> Keyboard/Mouse/Touch Input)
> - Basic Drawing (2D Shapes, Lines, Gradients, etc)
> - Image Rendering (Image Loading, Rendering, Modification,
> Saving, etc.)
> - 3D Drawing (By far the most complex stage, so we'll leave it
> for last)

I suggest you start working the other way. Because if you want
performance you will most likely want everything in the render
path to be based on shaders:

1. Fonts and monochrome icons based on distance-fields.
2. All fills based on shaders, with the ability to convert D into
GLSL etc.
3. Render to texture, with caching mechanism.
4. Simplistic mesh rendering from native D arrays.
5. The ability to attach native 3D code paths (GL/DX) to the
engine for advanced meshes.

Then you build 2D on top of this.

Rendering and input should be completely separate.