Hitchikers Guide to Porting Phobos / D Runtime to other architectures

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Jan 6 09:03:52 PST 2014

On Monday, 9 April 2012 at 10:19:47 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:

> Personally I feel that people porting to specific architectures
> should maintain their differences in separate files under a
> /ports directory structure - lets say core.stdc.stdio as a cod
> example. The version for bionic would be under
> /ports/bionic/core/stdc/stdio.d, and that is the module that
> gets compiled into the library when building for bionic. When
> installing, the build process generates a header file of the
> bionic version of core.stdc.stdio and puts the file in the
> correct /include/core/stdc/stdio.di location.

This would really be fine.  I'd even say just put them in
core.sys.bionic or whatever, except that this location is for
platform-specific imports and so core.sys.bionic.stdio could
contain nonstandard extensions, while anything exposed by
core.stdc should not.  For all of these issues, bugzilla tickets
and/or pull requests are much appreciated.  I know that the
design I chose for my own ease of maintenance may not scale past
the handful of platforms DMD targets.