Graphics Library for D

Ross Hays accounts at rosshays.net
Mon Jan 6 12:43:21 PST 2014

This is all a fantastic idea and seems like the kind of project
that D really needs to keep improving (something new and large
scale that will be in the standard library).

I do agree with everyone else that the order of implementation
should be changed to something more along the lines of Window
System -> 3D Graphics -> 2D Graphics, with other bits along the
way. It seems natural to build the window system first so the
other parts can be tested, and it also allows the API to be a bit
more established before getting into the nitty-gritty of it all.

I have been working on making a OpenGL game engine of sorts in D
since I started with it, and while I know this is not the same
goal for this project, I would be glad to help as well. I must
admit though, I am not entirely sure I understand the entire aim
of Cinder if performance is not most important. I will have to
read more about the library, but I would still like to help if it
means improving the phobos library and D.

Unrelated: If this project is going to add things such as
mathematical vectors and such into the standard library for D,
that perhaps they should be included in the math package
(std.math) rather than some new package (std.aurora). Just a
thought, since they will be useful everywhere. Furthermore, the
window system in general could be useful as a std.window (not
std.windows) library, but I am not really sure about that one now
that I think about it...

-Ross