Graphics Library for D

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 21:36:57 PST 2014

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 03:02:00 -0800, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
<joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:

> On 06/01/14 08:16, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 21:32:54 -0800, Mike <none at none.com> wrote:
>>> * Please don't make a graphics library that is useful only on PCs.
>>>

>> That's the plan. However at this point D only works on x86 so it's a
>> moot point.
>
> Not really -- the GDC/LDC teams seem to be doing excellent work on ARM
> support which I get the feeling will arrive sooner rather than later.  I
> think it'll be really important to have multi-device support at the core
> of your graphics library project, and to factor that into your design
> from the beginning.
>
> Besides, you planning in that way will give encouragement to those
> porting efforts :-)

The plan is to support ARM systems. And if LDC or GDC can deliver that
with full druntime/Phobos support we can look at build a new backends.

> Related to this: I read in the news that C++ is planning on
> standardizing on Cairo as a graphics library.  Is that something that
> could be useful to engage with?

It's possible but from what I've gathered Cairo is not the best, just the
simplest common denominator. I am actually on the C++ Graphics forum,
although I have posted anything because even with my graphics background I
feel quite inadequate in there. :-)

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender