Graphics Library for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Tue Jan 7 00:50:27 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 7 January 2014 at 08:31:07 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> I would like to reiterate that Aurora will not specify the
> back-end, so it will not OpenGL or DirectX, or any API centric.

You need a reference graphics pipeline or performance will suffer.

> The intention is a high-level API that can use any renderer
> that meets some basic requirements. There is nothing
> technically wrong with DirectX on Windows and unlike OpenGL
> which requires manufacturer provided drivers, it's guaranteed
> to be available.

Not sure why you wrote that, but you come through as Microsoft
biased,

If you want cross platform performance your only choice is to
pick a DX compatible subset of OpenGL ES 2/3 and use that as your
reference graphics pipeline, which is quite easy to do.

If your reference implementation is based on a proprietary 2D
engine then all other platform implementations will suffer.