Graphics Library for D

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 10:31:58 PST 2014

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 03:52:04 -0800, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at gdcproject.org>
wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2014 10:20, "Dmitry Olshansky" <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 07-Jan-2014 12:30, Adam Wilson пишет:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 00:05:35 -0800, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>>> <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> There is nothing technically wrong with DirectX on Windows
>>> and unlike OpenGL which requires manufacturer provided drivers, it's
>>> guaranteed to be available.
>>

>> Pardon, but this reads like citation of some old crap to me.
>> And how would you use a GPU w/o manufacturer provided drivers?
>> DX also builds on top of vendor specific drivers.
>>

> I thought it was the other way round. As in vendors write drivers to
> interface specifically with directX on windows, so Microsoft doesn't have
> to.

I apologize, late-night exhaustion mis-speak. What I meant to say is that
unlike DirectX, which due to Aero and WinRT requires that drivers be
provided that work with DirectX, Windows does not ship OpenGL in any form,
drivers or API's. Therefore the vendor has to ship the OpenGL API's along
with the OGL compatible drivers, and not all do since it's not required
for Windows certification. Yes, nVidia and ATI do, and that covers the
bulk, but it's not universal like DirectX is. On Windows you have absolute
certainty on DX always being there, you can't make that assumption with
OGL.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender