Graphics Library for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Tue Jan 7 12:13:18 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 7 January 2014 at 19:31:38 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> True enough, but for the moment we are trying to keep the scope
> of the project manageable. If someone wants to add it great!
> But until then we need to focus on what is required.

Yes, that is true, and then we should define a set of
applications which it will be suitable for and what the basic
model is: Should it be immediate mode, retained mode or scene
graph based?

High level graphic frameworks tend to loose momentum fast, even
the good ones. Example: SGI's Open Inventor is actually a neat
scene graph framework, and open source, but dead. SGI's GL
survived because it was low level and immediate mode.

So, I really think D is better off providing the basics in phobos
first, staying true to the virtue of providing independent
modules that are focused:

- OS application abstraction: graphics context, input stream,
audio playback
- generally useful vector path datatype compatible with
phobos-collections and SVG
- vector/matrix library with competitive SSE performance and
features such as clamping