Graphics Library for D

Ross Hays accounts at rosshays.net
Tue Jan 7 15:08:41 PST 2014

I also kind of think that having an immediate mode high level API
is a bit pointless. It would allow some nice abstractions, but I
would still favor retained mode and maybe some quick helper
functions that could partially imitate immediate mode (though
that should really be a lower priority).

I understand that immediate mode maybe is more intuitive if you
are new to graphics, and that it may also be easier to write for
Aurora, but I feel like in the long run it would be a detriment.

> So, I really think D is better off providing the basics in
> phobos first, staying true to the virtue of providing
> independent modules that are focused:
>
> - OS application abstraction: graphics context, input stream,
> audio playback
> - generally useful vector path datatype compatible with
> phobos-collections and SVG
> - vector/matrix library with competitive SSE performance and
> features such as clamping

That is pretty much what I was thinking as well when I was
talking about avoiding breaking things into some std.aurora
package. Things that phobos could already stand to have such as
vectors, audio, better netcode, and so on, may as well be
integrated in phobos and then used in Aurora, rather than Aurora
becoming some weird extension of phobos.