Declaration syntax

Boyd gaboonviper at gmx.net
Wed Jan 8 02:13:56 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 at 09:46:23 UTC, Tobias Pankrath
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 at 08:47:23 UTC, Boyd wrote:
>> If you're out for easier code readability, then I'd recommend
>> not to bother with syntax too much. It'll only get you a
>> slight readability increase at most, and you'll piss off
>> anyone who doesn't agree with you, or doesn't want to refactor
>> his code.
>>
>> I've been experimenting with language design a bit and I found
>> that a much bigger issue with coding, is that we still use
>> files and plain text. An IDE where code is represented in a
>> simple tree and saved in a database, for example, would
>> improve things dramatically, and no language changes would be
>> necessary.
>
> It wouldn't. When I was working for a SAP consulting company, I
> wrote some parts of ABAP, which is stored in the database of
> the SAP system itself and only accessible via the build in
> "IDE". I would have killed for an decent IDE but there was no
> way to easy access the code directly. Programming text are
> nothing more than serialized tree data structures stored in a
> common format.
>
> Actually there was a EMACS plugin for "language-directed"
> coding, where the editor knew the code structure and you could
> only enter syntactically valid code. Like a "snippet plugin" on
> steroids. However the author of the plugin itself admitted that
> this was a wrong direction and is back to text editing.

I agree that you wouldn't want code to be precisely constraint to
what's syntactically correct. Function bodies in particular
benefit quite a bit from just manually typing text. But a tree
structure of all modules, classes, functions, properties, etc...,
would go a long way.