Declaration syntax

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jan 8 02:25:32 PST 2014

On 2014-01-08 09:47, Boyd wrote:

> I've been experimenting with language design a bit and I found that a
> much bigger issue with coding, is that we still use files and plain
> text. An IDE where code is represented in a simple tree and saved in a
> database, for example, would improve things dramatically, and no
> language changes would be necessary.

I don't think that's necessary. It's all about how the IDE presents the
code. Currently in most text editors and IDE's the lowest unit of text
editing is a file. There's nothing stopping an IDE from providing
different units of text editing. There are already some editors that are
doing this or experiment with it:

* http://www.andrewbragdon.com/codebubbles_site.asp
* http://www.lighttable.com/

There's also the usual IDE's, like Eclipse, Xcode, VisualStudio and
NetBeans, that provides class browsers and similar.

--
/Jacob Carlborg