Adding Java and C++ to the MQTT benchmarks or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Garbage Collector

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Jan 8 04:32:17 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 at 11:35:21 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> http://atilanevesoncode.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/adding-java-and-c-to-the-mqtt-benchmarks-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-garbage-collector/

Thanks for sharing your experience.

It goes with my experience moving enterprise server code from C++
to JVM/.NET land.

What people forget about C++ smart pointers vs
Objective-C/Rust/ParaSail ones is that without compiler support,
you just spend too much time doing the said operations.

Over the holidays I spent some time researching about the
Mesa/Cedar system developed at Xerox PARC. Cedar was already a GC
enabled systems programming language, strong typed.

Quite remarkable what the system could do as a GUI desktop
workstation in the early 80's and we are still fighting in 2014
to get GC enabled systems programming languages accepted in the
mainstream.

--
Paulo