Graphics Library for D

finalpatch fengli at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 15:11:33 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 at 18:49:58 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:

>> I think if you're willing to use version 2.4 then you get a
>> much more permissive license, no? That's how I read
>> http://www.antigrain.com/license/index.html anyway...
>
> Right, it will just force us to become responsible for
> maintaining our own fork of AGG. I'm not sure we should get
> into that business.

The development of AGG has pretty much stopped after the original
author released 2.4.  The 2.5 is no more than just a license
change (I remember I have compared the files).

The fork on SourceForge, although considered maintained, it
contains only a few small changes. Right now the revision number
of that repo is only about 90, and there isn't much happening in
the repo over the years. I think if we pick up the 2.4 version,
convert it to idiomatic D, it would be very good showcase of D's
template capability.

The thing I like about AGG is that it is very portable (I have
ported it to embedded micro controllers in a matter of minutes).
That is because all it requires is just a pixel buffer and a C++
compiler.  It is also very fast for a high quality software
renderer, so if extreme performance is not high on your priority
list, AGG is a very good fit for you needs. And also because it's
a pure software renderer that works on pixel buffers, it's a good
candidate to be included in Phobos.