Adding Java and C++ to the MQTT benchmarks or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Garbage Collector

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Wed Jan 8 15:59:58 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 at 23:43:43 UTC, NoUseForAName wrote:
> Looks pretty boring/conventional to me. If you know many
> programming languages you immediately recognize "let" as a
> common keyword for assignment.

Yes, but I cannot think of a single one of them that I would like
to use! ;-)

> That leaves only the funny sounding "mut" as slightly unusual.
> It is the result of making immutable the default which I think
> is a good decision.

Agree on the last point, immutable should be the default. Altough
I think they should have skipped both "let" and "mut" and used a
different symbol for initial-assignment instead.

> (I am not part of that majority, though). I mean C gave us
> classics like "atoi".. still reminds me of "ahoi" every time I
> read it. And I will never get over C++'s "cout" and "cin". See?

I don't mind cout, I hardly use cin, I try to avoid cerr, and
I've never used clog… I mind how you configure iostreams though.
It looks worse than printf, not sure how they managed that.

> Rust makes C/C++ damaged people feel right at home even there ;P

Well, I associate "let" with the functional-toy-languages we
created/used at the university in the 90s so I kind of have
problem taking Rust seriously. And the name? RUST? Decaying
metal. Why? It gives me the eerie feeling that the designers are
either brilliant, mad or both, or that it is a practical joke.
I'm sure the compiler randomly tells you Aprils Fools! Or
something.