Graphics Library for D

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 16:06:39 PST 2014

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 15:56:18 -0800, finalpatch <fengli at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 at 23:29:59 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> Even with a full port of 2.4 to D it would still fall under the BSD
>> 3-Clause license which is not Boost compliant IIRC. So it will never
>> end up in Phobos. If I am missing something let me know, because a
>> Phobos Software Renderer is a good idea.
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> We don't necessarily have to port AGG to D. Instead, I suggest we
> produce something that resembles its design (a set of very flexible
> components that can be put together through template instantiation at
> compile time), but in idiomatic D.  With the power of D, the group
> wisdom of the community, and the lessons learned from AGG and other
> prior projects, it's very possible we can produce something even more
> impressive than AGG. Since it's a pure software renderer, the scope of
> the project will be a lot more manageable than GPU based solutions.

Well, actually software renderers are terribly complicated beasts and so
probably wouldn't reduce the actual scope. And they require a lot of
mathematical knowledge that can be hard to come by, I certainly don't have
it. So if someone is willing to start writing one in D we'd be happy to
include support for it in Aurora. But I think we should continue with the
GPU based solutions because they are easier to work with and the
knowledge-base is more extensive.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender