Uninstall deletes user created folders too

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Wed Jan 8 23:11:20 PST 2014

On Thursday, 9 January 2014 at 06:50:56 UTC, John J wrote:
> The Uninstall on Windows is deleting user created folders too!
> :(
>
> I thought it's a good idea to uninstall the previous version of
> D before I install the latest one, but when I did that, it
> deleted the C:\D folder, including the sub-folders and files I
> created under that "D" folder! :(
>
> This is most unusual behavior. Can someone please fix the
> installer?
>
> And as I was panic, I made a quick search and installed Recuva
> to undelete the files.. but sadly it overwrote the important
> files I thought of recovering! (I guess I should have tried it
> from a different partition or a USB stick).

I've made a pull request to fix this:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/pull/37

It only will avoid removing the installation folder if the root
is empty.  With this change you can safely add stuff to the root
of the installation folder but if you add stuff to the
C:\D\{dm,dmd,dmd2} folders they will still be deleted. I'd like
it to only remove files that were installed but it'd need an
exact list and we don't have that at the moment.