Adding Java and C++ to the MQTT benchmarks or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Garbage Collector

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Jan 9 00:38:22 PST 2014

On Thursday, 9 January 2014 at 07:07:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/8/2014 10:11 PM, Manu wrote:
>> On 9 January 2014 13:08, Walter Bright
>> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com
>> <mailto:newshound2 at digitalmars.com>> wrote:
>>
> The reason that Java does excessive amounts of allocation is
> because Java doesn't have value types, not because Java has a
> GC.

That might change if IBM's extensions ever land in Java.

http://www.slideshare.net/rsciampacone/javaone-2013-introduction-to-packedobjects

Video presentation available here,
http://www.parleys.com/play/52504e5ee4b0a43ac121240b

Walter is right regarding D. All other GC enabled systems
programming languages do have value objects and don't require
everything to be on heap.

So the stress on the GC to clean memory is not as high as on Java
and similar systems.

--
Paulo