Compile time executable calling?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Jan 9 02:29:20 PST 2014

On 2014-01-09 00:16, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> <offtopic rant>
> A *shell script* could do better than make, by actually making
> sure that everything is recompiled and up-to-date

I use a shell script for most of my projects. It's usually a one line
shell script, just to not have to retype all flags every time.

> The fact that `make clean` exists at all, is a testament to
> just how broken the whole thing is (and the saddest thing is that `make
> clean` has come to be accepted as a part of life, when it shouldn't even
> exist in the first place, had build systems been designed correctly to
> begin with).

What if you change the makefile, say adding a flag? That flag might
require the whole project to be rebuilt. How should that be handled
automatically? Always to a full rebuild if the makefile has been changed?

--
/Jacob Carlborg