Where is contribution most needed to the D community?

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 02:49:17 PST 2014

On Thursday, 9 January 2014 at 07:45:09 UTC, Kira Backes wrote:
> Dear D users,
>

> after a long time evaluating all options I think I finally
> committed to D and vibe.d! Since I’ll have a lot of memory
> usage and I want to do an MMORPG I always was scared off by
> GC-enabled languages, but after thoroughly evaluating what this
> language (and vibe.d) gives me in terms of performance, memory
> usage (this is especially important, a lot of GC-languages like
> Java have unacceptable memory bloat for objects etc.) and
> productivity I think this is the best decision. Obviously I’ll
> have some work to do later to move most of the objects out of
> the GC (they usually live from the start of the server to the
> end of the server) but I now thinks that this work is still a
> lot less then all the other work combined. I especially like
> the built-in contract programming, invariants and unit-tests
> and I think they’ll be worth a lot! And even more awesome is
> the compile-time reflection for serialization (very important
> for my projects).
>
> So, what I actually wanted to ask, which part/project do you
> think mostly needs contribution? The D documentation on this
> page? Mono-D (I’ll be using that, already contributed to an
> issue)? DUB? vibe.d and its documentation? More tutorials on a
> seperate blog?
>
> Please tell me what you think! :-)
>

> rgds, Kira Backes

A good web service stack is the main thing for Vibe I believe.
Because of this I started Cmsed (I'll push it into repo soon) a
component library that also functions as a content management
system. I also built and still working on an ORM (Dvorm [0]).
I need OpenDBX support for e.g. Mysql added to it. I have
bindings to it available. Mongo already supported.

There is also standards like odata I wish to support with my
router natively. For this I need some sort of relationship system
within Dvorm.

I strongly believe some sort of GWT [1] inspired system is also
required to work alongside a router. I did have this planned for
DOOGLE [2] but since talk about a new gui base system, there's
little point in me continuing it.

But from a practical side. We need articles showing good examples
of simple code to do awesome stuff.
Benchmarks on memory/cpu usage ext. Also very important.

At the end of day, choose what you're good at and love. It'll
help no matter what it is :)

[0] https://github.com/rikkimax/Dvorm
[1] http://www.gwtproject.org/
[2] https://github.com/rikkimax/DOOGLE