Should this work?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 08:21:58 PST 2014

On 10 January 2014 02:05, Dicebot <public at dicebot.lv> wrote:

> On Thursday, 9 January 2014 at 15:14:04 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> However, I think to get the expected result from unicode you need
>>

>>> string y = "Hello".byGrapheme.retro.find('H').to!string;
>>>
>>> but I might be wrong.
>>>

>> Bugger that. This is not an example of "D is good at strings!".
>>

> I have 0 ideas how are you going to get same functionality in C with
> strchr. This small line uses quite lot of features to be reliably
> unicode-correct.

It's nice that it's unicode correct, but it's not nice that you have to be
familiar with a massive amount of the standard library and you need to
search through 4-5 (huge! and often poorly documented) modules to find the
functions you need to perform _basic string operations_, like finding the
last instance of a character...
My standing opinion is that string manipulation in D is not nice, it is
possibly the most difficult and time consuming I have used in any language
ever. Am I alone?