Should this work?

Craig Dillabaugh cdillaba at cg.scs.carleton.ca
Thu Jan 9 10:57:25 PST 2014

On Thursday, 9 January 2014 at 17:15:43 UTC, Regan Heath wrote:

clip

> In other words, why can't we alias or wrap the generic routines
> in std.string such that the expected operations are easy to
> find and do exactly what you'd expect, for strings.
>
> If someone is dealing with generic code where the ranges
> involved might be strings/arrays or might be something else of
> course they will call std.range functions, but if they are only
> dealing with strings there should be string specific functions
> for them to call - which may/may not use std.range or
> std.algorithm functions etc behind the scenes.

I think this would be a nice solution.  I only use D for string
processing rarely and as a result I always struggle a bit,
because I can never remember where to go to look for things.
Happily, my most recent experience with it was fairly smooth.

A while ago I was trying to do something with splitter on a
string and I ended up asking a question on D.learn.  I got into a
very confusing debate because the person trying to help me
thought I was using the splitter in std.array and I was using the
one from another module (see the last few posts from here):

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/learn/splitting_numbers_from_a_test_file_39448.html

It would be nice if std.string in D provided a nice, easy, string
manipulation that swept most of the difficulties under the table,
and provided links in the documentation to the functions they
wrap for when people want to do more complex things.