Hitchikers Guide to Porting Phobos / D Runtime to other architectures

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Jan 9 16:02:21 PST 2014

On Thursday, 9 January 2014 at 20:16:14 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-01-09 19:39, Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> I do think we may need to stick with manually written headers
>> though, as much for copyright reasons as anything.
>
> Why not an automatic solution? Why would the copyright matter
> if it's manually or automatically translated?

Because of this clause from the Boost license page:

"The conceptual interface to a library isn't covered. The
particular representation expressed in the header is covered, as
is the documentation, examples, test programs, and all the other
material that goes with the library. A different implementation
is free to use the same logical interface, however. Interface
issues have been fought out in court several times; ask a lawyer
for details."

I suspect that an automatic translation might be subject to the
"representation" issue, while a manual rewrite should not.