Where is contribution most needed to the D community?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jan 9 16:12:25 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 11:59:10PM +0000, Kelet wrote:
> And to expand a bit on my previous post with things I personally
> thing are important and rather low hanging:
>
> - Create style and layout templates for ddox to help us non-designers
> - Make DCD plugins for editors so they can autocomplete, go to
>   definition, etc.
> - Create idiomatic D wrappers around deimos/derelict or any other
>   direct C bindings
>
> But most of all, the D ecosystem simply needs users who are willing
> to generate activity in the form of:
> - Usage of D libraries
> - Willingness to file issues and follow up on them should a problem
>   arise
> - Release of software built using D
> - Discussion within (mailing list, IRC) and beyond (reddit, HN) the D
>   community
> - Documenting your experiences and creating said discussion
> - Openness to test drive prospective "big players" in the environment
[...]

You forgot the most important one: browse the bugtracker at
http://d.puremagic.com/issues for easy-to-fix Phobos bugs and submit
pull requests for them.  You don't have to be an "official" Phobos dev
to do that (I'm not, and I've had a good number of pulls merged
already).

Or browse the Phobos pull request list on github and help review pull
requests (we're very short of people on that front -- arguably this is
more important than submitting pulls, since a lot of pulls are
stagnating because nobody got around to reviewing them yet).

Phobos code is actually quite pleasant to read in spite of it being the
D standard library (for the most part anyway, Phobos does have its dark
corners but you need not go there). If you've ever tried reading the
source of, say, glibc, you'll know what I mean. Plus, reading Phobos
code will also teach you some powerful D idioms that you may not
otherwise think of. So you'll be learning "effective D" while helping to
improve the quality of its standard library. Double win!

Music critic: "That's an imitation fugue!"