Should this work?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 16:57:58 PST 2014

On 10 January 2014 06:19, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2014-01-09 17:35, Marco Leise wrote:
>
>  I Phobos should follow OpenGL in this regard and use a
>> prefix like `etc` for useful but not finalized modules, so
>> early adapters can try out new modules compare them with any
>> existing API in Phobos where applicable (e.g. streams,
>> json, ...) and report any issues. I have a feeling that right
>> now most modules are tested by 2 people prior to the merge,
>> because they spent a life in obscurity.
>>

> That has been suggested before and the counter argument is that people
> will start using and complain when it's changed, even if it's in an
> experimental.

I've heard that, and I think that's a lame argument. Would people rather
break peoples code *who deliberately chose to use a beta feature, and
accept the contract while doing so (that it would later be moved to 'std'
proper)*, or consistently produce features that have very little proven
foundation in practical application? It takes year(/s) before enough people
can have had a crack at a new API in enough scenarios to reveal where it
went right, and where it went wrong.

In the case of std.simd, I'm not ever going to consider presenting it for
inclusion until such a time I'm absolutely happy with it (although in this
case, it's also just not finished ;), and since it's not readily available,
that really just relies on my using it in enough of my own projects that I
manage to satisfy myself... it makes no sense.

Someone here said that the javax. packages originally was experimental