How to contribute to GC?

Kira Backes kira.backes at nrwsoft.de
Thu Jan 9 23:26:36 PST 2014

Dear D users,

I think the GC is the one are that is holding D the most back, so
I’d like to help it. But I have no idea how. No, I’m not talking
about the technical stuff, rather about the organizational stuff
and the contribution workflow.

It seems like sociomantics wanted to port CDGC to D2 but I did
not see any work following that, they also wanted to refactor the
existing GC but I also don’t think much has been done there. Then
there is also a precise GC. It exists, but is anything planned
for this to be included?

So, I’d really like to help with the GC but I have no idea how.
- There is no overview of what people are doing on the GC or
their GC forks
- I have basically no idea what of the current work will be
included into Phobos, so I don’t what to base my contribution on
- I don’t know which ideas I could work on so that they
eventually will be included
- Finally, I don’t know what the core D team is already planning
or what their vision is, what they’re planning themselves, what
they want to see in D, what they will accept as contribution

Maybe we need a project page or a group or something for the GC?
Where we can collect all ideas, see who’s working on what, see
what’s wanted and so on.

rgds, Kira Backes