How to contribute to GC?

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Fri Jan 10 12:06:39 PST 2014

On 10.01.2014 08:26, Kira Backes wrote:
> Dear D users,
>

> I think the GC is the one are that is holding D the most back, so I’d
> like to help it. But I have no idea how. No, I’m not talking about the
> technical stuff, rather about the organizational stuff and the
> contribution workflow.
>
> It seems like sociomantics wanted to port CDGC to D2 but I did not see
> any work following that, they also wanted to refactor the existing GC
> but I also don’t think much has been done there. Then there is also a
> precise GC. It exists, but is anything planned for this to be included?

I have just rebased and recreated the precise GC fork of druntime the
other day: https://github.com/rainers/druntime/commits/gcx_precise2
I hope this has commits that are better reviewable than the last
version. I was planning to create a pull request just to make it more
public and get the ball rolling.

What's blocking the inclusion is that the compiler does not generate
proper type information. This pull request is trying to fix it:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/2480
but it often breaks with other commits.

Unfortunately it never received any feedback apart from some
code-styling notes.