Componentizing D's garbage collector

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Sat Jan 11 03:52:53 PST 2014

Am 10.01.2014 20:40, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
> On 1/10/14 11:34 AM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>> Am 10.01.2014 09:03, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
>>>
>>> Destroy.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Just one question. Did you read "the garbage collection handbook"?
>
> Yah, the new edition. Unfortunately I didn't find a lot of new stuff or
> things that would help in a practical implementation.
>
> Andrei

Very good,

In my opinion it should be required for everyone who wants to
participate in D's GC to read that book. So everyone has at least a
basic understanding of the problem at Hand.

But if you read the book I don't understand, why you simply declare the
hardest problem, percise pointer discovery, as done. To be able to
actually implement and test a GC that is not a reimplementation of what
we already have one needs percise pointer discovery of _all_ pointers,
write barriers and GC halting points. So please enlighten me why you
simply decalre this done?

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut