Componentizing D's garbage collector

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Sun Jan 12 02:40:51 PST 2014

Am 12.01.2014 11:27, schrieb Rainer Schuetze:

> I think a moving collector is currently not feasible without restricting
> the language a lot, probably similar to safe D and more. I'm not sure we
> want that in general.

Could you give an example which part of the language would not be doable
with a moving collector? The only thing that comes to my mind is unions
and that problem can be solved by allowing the user to specify manual
scanning functions for structs or classes containing unions.

Also I don't think that we can create a GC which performs as good as the
one of Java or C# if we are not willing to make the neccessary changes
for a moving gc.