Componentizing D's garbage collector

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 02:54:27 PST 2014

On Sunday, 12 January 2014 at 10:40:50 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
> Also I don't think that we can create a GC which performs as
> good as the one of Java or C# if we are not willing to make the
> neccessary changes for a moving gc.

We don't necessarily need that, though. In D we have a plethora
of non-GC options, so it might be a better idea to tailor our GC
to typical D programs rather than trying to reproduce the Java
and C# collectors. For example, from a generational GC
perspective, I don't think the young generation is significant in
idiomatic D code, unlike Java code which relies on it heavily.