Facebook puts more bounties on dlang issues

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 04:45:52 PST 2014

On Sunday, 12 January 2014 at 12:20:39 UTC, Kira Backes wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 January 2014 at 00:19:02 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> There's a bit of budget (a few hundred only) earmarked for
>> GDC- and LDC-specific stuff.
>
> Maybe there’s just not so many people around who can help with
> compilers? I’m an application developer and can surely also
> help with the library, but hacking on the compiler is something
> I’ve never done (and don’t know if I would be any good at it)

+1. The front-end source code shared by the compilers uses C++,
and the style of C++ used is not exactly state of the art. These
two facts probably make compiler contributions unappealing to
most community members. The bounties are a nice perk, but before
the bounty even comes into play, the developer needs to make the
plunge into the front-end code base.

The bounties almost exclusively target compiler issues
(understandably), so with the relative dearth of compiler
developers, I'm not surprised that the bounties haven't changed
much.