Facebook puts more bounties on dlang issues

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jan 12 09:44:30 PST 2014

On 1/12/14 4:50 AM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Am Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:32:04 +0000
> schrieb Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at gdcproject.org>:
>
>> On 12 January 2014 00:19, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
>>> I've placed on behalf of Facebook a few more bounties on D-related
>>> issues. There's a bit of budget (a few hundred only) earmarked for
>>> GDC- and LDC-specific stuff. I didn't hear anything from Iain
>>> Buclaw (what's happening?) and am discussing with Kai Nacke the
>>> best angle of attack regarding LDC issues.
>
> I guess the last missing pieces in GDC (apart from specific bugs)
> are  NRVO, exception chaining and LTO. I probably won't work
> on any of these issues though, that stuff is too complicated for
> me ;-)
>
> But if we could get some new contributors because of these bounties
> that'd be even better :-)

One organizational/communication problem for me is that I've never been
able to grasp where GDC is, what the milestones for integrations are,
what the related issues are, and how to get from where we are to where
we should. I've communicated with Iain over forum, email, IRC, Skype,
and to be very honest I am unable to get simple answers to these simple
questions (my accent was an issue in Skype communication). One thing I
do recall is that Iain mentioned (I'm paraphrasing) that he hopes to
underpromise and overdeliver, i.e. just finish integration instead of
bragging about it before it being done. The unfortunate recoil from that
is that I have no idea where he is in the process, and whether he could
use any help.

Andrei